- Art & Culture
‘Tobeyaki’ is the name for the ceramics produced in the town of Tobe. It boasts a history going back about 230 years, and it’s designated a national traditional craft and a prefectural intangible cultural property. It features pale indigo patterns on a pure white ground, and rather thick, unaffected shapes. Tableware and vases are common, and it’s popular as a bowl for Sanuki udon noodles. Currently, there are over 100 potteries in Tobe, each producing individualistic work. Besides traditional work using techniques dating from ancient times, recently many fresh, modern works by women and young artisans have appeared.
- Tobe-chō, Iyo-gun
- Travel by car recommended
- Who are you traveling with?
- Recommended seasons
- Please be aware that changes may be made to the information due to various circumstances.
For the latest information, please contact the respective facilities directly.
- 089-962-2070 (Tobeyaki Pottery Tourist Center)
- Web Site
- This information is correct as of 8/2021. For details, please visit the official website of each facility or contact each facility.