Outside the prefecture
This gorge roughly in the centre of Shōdoshima is one of Japan’s three most beautiful. It was formed by erosion and crustal movement of rocks formed through volcanic activity over 13 million years ago, creating superb scenery of towering cliffs and strangely shaped rocks. The gorge bears a different expression in each season, with fresh green in spring, deep green in summer, red leaves in autumn, and snow in winter. The view out over the Seto Inland Sea from the cable car is amazing. You can also encounter many plants and animals if you take the footpath. Observatories, dining areas, and other facilities can be found at the summit.
- Kankakedōri, Shōdoshima-chō, Shōzu-gun, Kagawa
- How to Get There
- Take the Kanka-kei Gorge Express Line on the Shodoshima Olive Bus from the stop in front of the Ikeda-kō Ferry Terminal and disembark after about 30 minutes at Kōuntei, the route’s final destination, then ride the ropeway from Kōun Station for about 5 minutes.
* The Olive Bus is operated seasonally
- Open time
- Ropeway 8: 00 a.m.to 5: 00 p.m. (Varies according to the season)
- Open daily year-round (excluding times of inclement weather, facility upgrades, etc.)
- Round trip: Adults ¥1,970, Children ¥990
- Pet-friendly (Consultation may be required)
- Accessible by public transportation
- Travel by car recommended
- Parking available
- Barrier-free accessibility
- Who are you traveling with?
- Recommended seasons
- Please be aware that changes may be made to the information due to various circumstances.
For the latest information, please contact the respective facilities directly.
・Only certain restrooms offer barrier-free accessibility.
・Pets must be kept in crates or carriers when riding the cable car.
- 0879-82-2171 (Kankakei Ropeway)
- Web Site
- This information is correct as of 3/2023. For details, please visit the official website of each facility or contact each facility.