Spring May 3, 2023 (Wednesday / holiday) 10:00-, May 4 (Thursday / holiday) 8:30-
Hōjō Kashima Festival
- Performing arts
Hōjō Kashima Festival is a traditional event to celebrate the Kōno Suigun, which was at one time the largest naval power in the Seto Inland Sea. The festival is said to have originated from the practice of praying for the navy’s triumph in battle and, in celebration of their victory, respectfully offering services to shrines. The festival features two main events that together weave a story of the sea by the men in the Kashima region. They are the kaineri odori, dance performances by valiant men of the sea, and the changing of the ōshimenawa (large sacred rope) hung between the two small Meoto-iwa rocks near the coast of Hōjō. Every year, the festival attracts thousands of people. The festival offers a wide variety of other events as well.
- Off the coast of Hōjō Kashima Island, Matsuyama City
- May 3, 2023 (Wednesday / holiday) 10:00-, May 4 (Thursday / holiday) 8:30-
- Free of charge
- Who are you traveling with?
- Please be aware that changes may be made to the information due to various circumstances.
For the latest information, please contact the respective facilities directly.
- 089-948-6558 (Tourism and International Exchange Division)