Around the CastleDowntown
Saka no Ue no Kumo Museum
Clouds Above the Hill, a historical novel by one of Japan’s leading novelists Ryōtarō Shiba, is partly set in Matsuyama, and the city has taken the novel as a theme in its development plans. This museum, designed by architect Tadao Andō, is a key part of this plan. Set in the Meiji period when Japan was emerging as a modern nation, the novel presents the lives of brothers Yoshifuru and Saneyuki Akiyama, and Shiki Masaoka, who all came from Matsuyama. The museum has exhibits about them and their historical background in the Meiji period. The novel was serialized in newspapers from 1968 to 1972, and was also made into a television drama.Saka no Ue no Kumo Museum is a hub museum for Matsuyama City’s “Saka no Ue no Kumo” Field Museum Initiative. The project aims to turn the city into one large open museum. This facility exhibits the story of the three real-life protagonists of the novel and the history of the Meiji era they lived through. It is also a place for the community to share and present the ongoing development of the city.
- 3-20 Ichibanchō, Matsuyama City
- How to Get There
- About a 2 minute walk from Okaido Streetcar Station
- Open time
- 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Last entry 6:00 p.m.)
- Mondays (open on public holidays) *Exhibition may be closed due to exhibit replacements in February.
- Adult: ¥400, Senior Citizen: ¥200, High School Student: ¥200
- Accessible by public transportation
- Barrier-free accessibility
- Wi-Fi available
- Who are you traveling with?
- Recommended seasons
- Please be aware that changes may be made to the information due to various circumstances.
For the latest information, please contact the respective facilities directly.
- Web Site
- This information is correct as of 8/2021. For details, please visit the official website of each facility or contact each facility.