Around the Castle
- Art & Culture
This is one of only twelve surviving castle towers built during or before the Edo period. Construction started in 1602, and it took a quarter of a century to complete. Located in the centre of the city, the top of the castle tower overlooks the Matsuyama plain and the Seto Inland Sea. The defensive walls include sections that climb up the hill in the manner of Japanese castles built in Korea. The entire area of the castle park within the moat is a national historic site, and 21 buildings are designated important national cultural properties. In 2019, it came 4th in a ranking of the most satisfying Japanese castles to visit. It’s also famous for its cherry blossoms.
- Marunouchi, Matsuyama City
- How to Get There
- About a 5 minute walk from Okaido Streetcar Station
- Open time
- Castle tower 9:00 to 5:00 p.m. [Last entry at 4:30 p.m.; varies according to the season]
- Castle Tower: the third Wednesday of December
- Adult: ¥520, Child: ¥160
- Accessible by public transportation
- Wi-Fi available
- Credit cards accepted
- Who are you traveling with?
- Recommended seasons
- Please be aware that changes may be made to the information due to various circumstances.
For the latest information, please contact the respective facilities directly.
・Paid parking lot